Tired of dusting your furniture and appliances? Here are 9 hacks to make your home impervious to dust.
- The first thing you need to do to dust proof your house is to get rid of your wall to wall carpeting. Having said that, it is not practical but you can still strive for it. But there are a few other things that you can easily do to dust proof your house.
- Heavy drapes and curtains capture dust. So avoid them. Replace them with shutters or blinds, which are easily cleaned.
- Mind your bed. Wash your bedding weekly in mild hot water.
- Replace your furnace filter. Dust is blown around by forced air heating systems. By installing a paper filter or pleated fabric you can control dust. Make sure to change the filters every three months to keep dirt and congestion under check, especially if you have pets at home.
- Mind your closets. Dust gets accumulated in closets. Store items in plastic bags and containers to keep the floor clutter-free. This will make vacuuming easier. To keep the dust out use cloth bags to store winter coats, which shed fibre.
- Beat it, baby. Regularly shake or beat out your cushions, rugs and pillows. Dust mites can be controlled by tumbling pillows and the like in a hot drier. It also fluffs them up quite nicely.
- Pass on the upholstered furniture. For dust loving critters upholstered cloth furniture pieces are havens. But they won’t thrive on leather, wood, or vinyl furniture. Hence these are a better choice. It is easy to clean them as well.
- Grab the dust. String mops, feather dusters and yarn don’t capture dust. They just push the dust around. Your best bet is probably grab-it clothes. For furniture you can also use a micro fibre cloth or slightly dampened cloth with furniture cleaner or water.
It's not all about the suck. To clean carpets vacuums with a powerful beater/agitator is the best. Those with good suction alone won’t do the job. However, don’t use the agitator on delicate area rugs and vinyl and hardwood floors. Use hand tools with soft brushes for these floors.
Leave a comment